Our Family Summer 2008

Our Family Summer 2008
Brandon, Stacy, Samantha Kailey & Trenton

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Weekend to Remember-remembered

Sorry I haven't written in so long. After we returned from a Weekend to Remember Trenton fell ill and it was a week long battle to get him over the fever. Therefore, he needed lots of mommy time. Of course, I loved every minute of it but I am so glad he is feeling much better now.

I wanted to share with you just a little bit about our weekend. It truly was wonderful! This was our third Weekend to Remember Conference, so to be honest I really was not expecting to learn much (sorry for my pride). I was excited to get away with just Brandon for a couple of days though. I have shared with you in a previous post that I think he & I really do have a great marriage. When we arrived on Friday night and picked up our materials (they were the same books as the conference last year). The first one we went to was in 2002 so of course last years materials were different from then. So now I am really thinking "Oh great we are here for a do over session". Well, we get in and find our seats. For those of you who are not familiar with Family Life or A Weekend to Remember they have several couples who travel and speak at these conferences all over the nation in the Spring & Fall. Their Speakers are Wonderful and God uses them powerfully! Well, they introduce the speakers for the weekend and guess what-One of the couples was the same couple we had heard last year in Tulsa. So now I am really thinking-DO OVER! As I sat there Friday night and listened, seated right behind my doctor (for Trevor) and his wife (small world). God just hit my prideful self upside the head. In that gentle, loving way that only he can. It was like everything I was hearing was all new. Although there were tidbits that I remembered from last year most all of it was new and different this year. Maybe because our marriage is different this year. Toward the end of the evening the speaker gave some scary statistics: Couples who have a child with a disabilty have a 80% chance they will divorce. Couples who lose a child through death have a 70% chance they will divorce. I have known from January 4, 2010-that we could either allow God to use Trevor's short life to bring us closer together in our marriage or we could allow Satan to tear us apart. It is our choice. One we face everyday. One, neither Brandon or I take lightly. So my daily prayer has been that God bring us closer together and in so many ways he has. The main thing that I took from the conference is that my spouse is God's gift to me. He is to be treated as such. I can honestly say that in almost 15 years of marriage I am not sure that I every really looked at Brandon as a gift from God just for me. I have thanked God for him more times than I can count.I have been blessed through our marriage in so many ways but God's gift? Wow! What a new way to look at him! I have the privilege of spending my life with the Gift God chose just for me! So my challenge to you married folks out there is this: each day as you look at your spouse remember they are God's gift to you and who knows you any better than God. He KNEW exactly who you needed! Enjoy your gifts!



"There are lots of things you can do with sand; but do not try building a house on it."-C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment